As I announced on Twitter in April, I am updating this campaign so that it is ALL YEAR now:
In a trend that would cause Hilleman, Salk, Sabin, Jenner and others to turn in their graves, vaccines (and science) have come increasingly under attack here in the United States. Meanwhile, millions of kids around the world are dying because of lack of protection from nasty diseases.
So we are rolling out A NEW YEAR-LONG 2018 edition of SHOTWAVE: Science Helping OuT World Awareness, Vaccination & Education.
It’s pretty simple:
1.Go get ANY vaccine! And get your childs vaccinated!
2. Take a picture post-shot (your face is optional and preferably smiling!) of your cool bandaids
3. Post it in response to this challenge to my twitter account (@DrsMeena). Please feel free to add #ridetheshotwave (and #vaccineswork, #sciencematters, another appropriate hashtag).
4. I will donate $0.30* to UNICEF for each person who gets vaccinated (in the event of person-count uncertainty, I will round up) to help children around the world get their vaccines—creating a “shot wave” across the globe
5. I will post articles often about immunizations, vaccines, science, helping kids, etc to raise awareness and education because (as my son says) SCIENCE ROCKS!
That’s it. Hopefully pretty simple!
Please—spread this far and wide. Send to family/friends. I don’t do Facebook, but direct them to my Twitter (@DrsMeena or post for them).
The goal is simple: to combat the rising anti-vax movement with science; and to help both our immediate community but also the global community with VACCINES.
And finally: You can feel free to donate directly if you like! My pocketbook can use the help; your assistance is greatly appreciated!
* my guesstimate of what the average vaccine costs based on UNICEF’s webpage; I will donate up to the first $500 but appreciate others helping too!