New York families have been receiving a NYS EBT card (like a gift card) loaded with $420 for each public school student. The card can be used for groceries and is meant to compensate for the loss of free school lunches last school year.
If the money is a windfall that you and your children do not need in these troubled times and you think that it would be best used to help neighbors who cannot afford regular nutritious meals, donate some or all of it. Use the card to buy your regular groceries, and then contribute as much of $420 as your family thinks is appropriate. Learn all about the food program below
Many NYC parents may hesitate to use the Pandemic EBT card at the supermarket. Don’t leave that money on the table. Here are three easy steps on how to use your card to make a donation.
● Persist to activate the card
● Use proudly at supermarket
● Donate the equivalent in cash
Persisting to activate your card
Activating the card has a few steps, but worth it to support your neighbors. Use the tips below to give 2,625 meals to your neighbors in need. To protect your child, NY State has limited the personal information available on the card, but this makes it confusing to activate. Be patient. To use your card, you must create a PIN.
1. To create a PIN, dial 1-888-328-6399
2. Select your preferred language (1 for English)
3. Enter the 19 digit card number from the front the card
4. Select 1 to create a PIN
5. You will be prompted for the last 4 digits of the cardholder’s social security number. The cardholder is your child.
6. DON’T ENTER THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF THE CHILD’S SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. YES, THIS SOUNDS CRAZY. IT’S CONFIRMED IN THE NY STATE VIDEO.
7. Enter the month and date of the child's real birthday not the fake birthday on the card (i.e. if the child's birthday is August 28, enter 0-8-2-8)
8. Enter the cardholder’s zip code. This is the zip code at the address where the card was received
9. Then enter a 4 digit PIN
10. Reenter the 4 digits to confirm the PIN
11. You’re DONE!
Use the Card Proudly
To use the card, go to any grocery or green market that accepts EBT cards. All the local Fort Greene/Clinton Hill supermarkets and the green market accept EBT. Use it the same way you would a debit card. Spend all of the card or a portion. Keep track of what you spent on the card.
Donate the equivalent in cash
Keep track of what you spend and select Donate Now to give some or all of the value you received from your card. And help neighbors who cannot afford regular nutritious meals. Donate here
Not getting P (Pandemic)-EBT but you can afford to help? Please donate, too.
How You and One Community Will Help Your Neighbors
One Community works with the Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership, Clinton Hill/Fort Greene Mutual Aid, public housing tenant associations and community organizers and dozens of other organizations to deliver food to seniors and other vulnerable people who do not have family or others to safely bring them food. The recipients live in public housing and other low-income buildings in Fort Greene and Clinton Hill. 1200 households receive groceries each week. As people are more comfortable going out to get food, we are broadening our focus to more people who cannot afford a nutritious diet, generally living in local public housing.
Cost Effective Operations
Government food programs and volunteers donate the food items and most of the labor. The Brooklyn Navy Yard donated warehouse space in which to pack the food and from which to stage the deliveries. Your money will go directly to:
● More food to supplement the amount or nutritional value of the donated food we receive, or
● Packing supplies, masks, gloves, sanitizer, cleaning supplies, tables, bins, handcarts, truck rental and similar items needed to prepare and distribute the food.
Depending on the amount of supplemental food purchased for a week the cash outlay per meal delivered ranges from 6-28¢. Your $420 will enable us to provide 2,625 meals on an average week. $100, 625 meals. Any amount will have a real impact.
It will be the fuel that is needed every week to keep us going.
Your contributions are tax deductible to the full extent permitted by law. Go Fund Me routes funds through PayPal Fund Drive, a non-profit organization.