The COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic has transformed daily life for residents in Southwest Florida, but few have been impacted more than seniors. Forced to stay home and avoid social contact for their own safety, it is unclear when normal life will resume for our region's older adults. As government agencies and community-based organizations scramble to help isolated individuals access food, health care, medicine and other vital services, the need to establish a comprehensive support network for Southwest Florida seniors has never been more apparent.
During this trying time, our role as a community foundation is to support the ongoing needs of our most vulnerable neighbors, both during and after the crisis. Our guiding principal is to ensure that every local senior has someone they can turn to and trust. To this end, we are working to increase resources for older adults in need and connect isolated seniors with services to help them weather the COVID-19 storm. More importantly, we are also looking ahead to the long-term recovery that will follow this prolonged public health and economic crisis.
Together with our philanthropic partners, Seniors Coronavirus Recovery Fund and the Cape Coral Community Foundation, is leading an effort to help seniors survive this critical period and build a robust regional support system to protect them now and forever. This fund provides for those who care about the health and well-being of seniors with a vehicle to assist the older adults whose lives
have been most impacted by this unprecedented global disaster.
Money raised for the Seniors Coronavirus Recovery Fund will be granted to senior-focused organizations across Southwest Florida to address the impacts of the COVID-19 crisis, mitigate its long-term effects, and work toward recovery. Funding will remain flexible to address evolving needs over time, with a primary focus on restoring and augmenting services based out of senior centers that will continue to benefit older adults long after the pandemic is over.
Examples of programs and projects that could be funded include:
- Hiring community coordinators to lead outreach efforts and help isolated seniors access vital resources that support their health, safety and independence
- Identifying strategic grant opportunities to help shuttered senior centers get back up and running and create programs that support older adult needs while complying with social distancing requirements
- Supporting the health of isolated seniors by expanding home-delivery programs for meals, groceries, and medicine
- Developing job training and career resources for older adults who need supplemental income as a result of the pandemic's economic fallout
- Investing in other programs that contribute to seniors' overall wellbeing by addressing their physical, mental, social, and/or financial health
- Exploring other initiatives to strengthen Southwest Florida's regional senior support network and improve our ability to respond to future disasters
YOUR SUPPORT WILL ALLOW US TO HELP OLDER ADULTS IN OUR COMMUNITY NOW AND FOREVER
You may donate stock gifts to the Seniors Coronavirus Recovery Fund by contacting email@example.com.
If you would like to send a check, please mail it to:
C/O Seniors Coronavirus Recovery Fund of Southwest Florida
Cape Coral Community Foundation
1405 SE47th Street, Unit 2
Cape Coral, Florida 33904