Caring for seafarers looks different these days, but the message is the same: You are not alone. We are here for you. We care about you.
Supporting Marooned Seafarers
The COVID-19 crisis will be felt throughout the maritime community for months to come and this fund provides flexible resources to ensure we are prepared to meet the diverse and evolving needs of those affected.
In the last few weeks, we have heard from dozens of seafarers staying in local hotels. Some are recovering from illness and unable to leave their rooms. Others are under quarantine from COVID-19 exposure, while others have been removed from their vessels for other medical reasons.
All lack transportation or the ability to go shopping for personal care products, vitamins, toiletries or snacks. Most do not have any personal items with them. Since our initial contact with the first seafarer, we have been in contact with the companies that employ these seafarers and offered our partnership as part of their shore-side wellness and care teams for we are all in this together. These care teams are working around the clock, around the world, caring for the hundreds of thousands of seafarers who find themselves in limbo and we are proud to work alongside them.
We have received requests for personal care products, toiletries, vitamins, healthy snacks, laundry soap, and items of daily living. Our pastoral care team is visiting local hotels 2 -3 times a week to distribute items, pray with the seafarers, and offer blessings.
Some of these seafarers have not stepped out of their hotel rooms for more than two weeks and all are desperate for human interaction.
White Board Ministry
Additionally, the Seafarers' House pastoral care team is welcoming ships berth side through our 'White Board Ministry. ' With the inability to board ships at this time the chaplaincy team greet mariners with a welcome sign and smile, and chance to reach out for personal support if needed.
Help us Help Mariners!
We need your help to fill the immediate needs of seafarers marooned in Broward County, and to ensure we can continue to provide for seafarers in the long term. We are their lifeline, we are their support, we are part of their care and wellness teams. You can read the latest on our work on our website.
* $1,000 can supply 10 mariners with a week’s worth of vitamins, nutritional supplements, healthy snacks and fruits, toiletries for one week, as well as a SIM card to call loved ones back home.
* $500 supports the personal protective equipment, technology and expenses required for our pastoral care team to support grieving and concerned crew mates aboard isolated vessels
* $100 supplies our pastoral care team with personal protective gear such as masks, gloves and hand sanitizer for one week
* $50 supplies one mariner with a week’s worth of vitamins, nutritional supplements, toiletries and personal care products
* $25 provides healthy snacks, such as fruit, to recovering seafarers
* $15 provides a SIM card to a marooned seafarer to call home
Will you join us?
Simply make a secure online gift today or make your check payable to Seafarers' House and mail to: Seafarers' House -COVID Relief Fund, 4613 University Drive, #201, Coral Springs, FL 33067.
Thank you for making a difference in seafarers' lives.