The San Diego Electric Railway Association has recently received a generous donation of three San Diego Electric Railway Class 1 Streetcar bodies. The three streetcars have been donated from a private collection and are currently stored here in San Diego County. We are in need of funds to transport the three cars to the National City Depot and to begin restoration efforts on the three streetcars.
The SDERY operated twenty-four Class 1 Streetcars 1912 to 1939. The Class 1 Streetcar was designed to serve as the state of the art transportation for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition. They were retired from service in 1939 and most were scrapped or converted into homes. These three streetcars spent much of the 1940s-1990s as homes here in San Diego until they were saved by a citizen who saw the historical significance behind these cars and began restoration efforts on these three Streetcar bodies.
These three Streetcar bodies are currently affixed to a flatbed trailer and will require semi-truck to move the Streetcars. All three of the Streetcars will require a significant amount of restoration to preserve them and make them ready for display at our museum. This includes the need for a structure to protect the streetcars. Please consider donating to our campaign to help us save these historic San Diego Electric Railway Class 1 Streetcars.