Bungle was found in Alamos, Mexico when he was just a puppy. He was suffering from a severe infection and broken front leg due to being attacked by a pack of dogs. He came to us when his leg was already infected and was taken to the best vet in the area - 50kms away. A pin was put into his leg and we decided to take him to our house in Alamos to look after him. We have three other dogs so he didn't mind being in his cage watching the others dogs walk by. That was at the beginning of March. Then Covid hit and they closed the road in and out of Alamos. We were not able to take him back to the vet as there was a police and army check point preventing people passing. After going to the Mayor we finally got written permission to pass and he went back to the vet in Navajoa. Unfortunately by then, the bone had grown around the implant and the vet told us that she couldn't take out the pin but it should be OK for it to stay in permanently. We continued to take care of Bungle and his leg seemed to be healing up well apart from one small hole at the top which was there for fluid to drain out...the fluid kept draining out and the hole never seemed to be closing up. When finally (in June ) we were able to get on the road to drive back to LA we decided that Bungle was coming with us. By that stage we had fallen in love with him. He is such a sweet, loving dog that we felt sure we could find him a good home in California. Our trip back to LA was pretty stressful and included closed campsites (due to Covid) and an unexpected state wide curfew in Arizona - hard to know what to do when you can't be outside after 8pm but you have nowhere to go as the campsites are closed. We ended up pulling off the freeway into the desert and sleeping in the car. Two adults and four dogs in a car does not make for a good nights sleep. Bungle loved it and when he wasn't jumping on us trying to play he took up most of the room in the back fast asleep. Back in LA I made an appointment to take him to a vet who recommended that I take him to a specialist surgeon and that's where I went this morning. Unfortunately there is an infection deep down inside his bone which is causing the fluid to ooze out and the wound to not heal. The pin has to be removed ASAP and the bone flushed out to eradicate the infection. He will then have to be kept in a crate again for a minimum of two weeks while he heals. He will be taking a strong course of antibiotics and hopefully with the pin gone, the infection will be eradicated. Of course you can imagine my disappointment today at hearing this news. I am gutted for Bungle's sake as it means more surgery and more downtime. He's only a puppy and loves to play so being kept still will not be fun for him (or me). There's also the financial implications of this operation which leads me to deciding to make this GoFundMe. The operation including today's consultation will cost between $5000 and $5400 and that doesn't include any complications that may occur along the way or the costs already spent. There's a 25% chance that his leg may have to end up being amputated if the bone breaks while they are drilling out the implant or the infection never goes away. Of course that is a last resort but I have to be prepared for the worst. He's going in on Tuesday morning June 23rd for the operation to remove the pin as I don't really have any choice. We love Bungle and want the best for him, he is such a lovely pup. We run a dog rescue in Alamos - please check out AlamosDogFoundation on Instagram to see our work - and so are used to this kind of thing but the costs associated with this particular procedure are prohibitively expensive, especially right now with no work in sight. If you feel you would like to contribute anything towards Bungle's expenses we would be most grateful! He's worth it, I can assure you!!