We all run for something. I'm running for reforestation.
Because when the coronavirus pandemic has finally been squashed, we will get back to facing a climate emergency capable of far greater damage than we've witnessed over the past few months.
Because planting trees and caring for forests is the original "natural climate solution" for removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and keeping global temperatures in check.
Because from my earliest days I've belonged in nature, among the rocks and trees and mountains and streams. The wild has given to me, and it's about time I give something back!
Who are you raising money for?
Join me in raising money for the Arbor Day Foundation, who will plant 1 tree for every dollar raised. They've been around for almost 50 years and have planted over 250 million trees. Last year they planted 3.6 million trees in our forests, and they're trying to plant 100 million more by 2022 - the 150th anniversary of Arbor Day.
ADF is a phenomenal organization and I'm fortunate to be able to raise funds for them.
I'm in! How much should I give? How will my donation be used?
The average North American creates about 16 metric tons of CO2 per year. A tree can absorb about 1 ton of CO2 over a 100-year life. So, planting 16 trees for $16 will remove 16 tons over the next 100 years.
Okay okay, we probably need to act faster. Want to remove this year's CO2 within ten years? Plant 160 trees for $160 and those extra emissions reductions from years 11-100 are a bonus!
Want to plant enough forest to cover the amount of land the average North American lives on? Planting 60 trees for $60 will cover about 1/5th of an acre and consume your CO2 emissions from this year by about 2050.
At the end of the day, I - and ADF - are extremely grateful for any donation of any amount.
[Please note, these are not verified carbon credits, and carbon sequestration rates vary by many factors including tree species, age, location, and climatic conditions. Calculations are approximate. For those interested in purchasing verified carbon credits - which I fully encourage - see ADF's page here: https://shop.arborday.org/carbon/]
I'm a fellow John Hancock employee! How do I do that Gift Match thing?
Every Full-Time U.S Domiciled benefits-eligible John Hancock employee is eligible to match up to $4,000 per calendar year. If you wish to submit a request below are the steps:
- Search for "Signature Corps" in MFCentral, and launch tool. If this is your first time accessing the system, you will be asked to enter some profile information.
- Hover over “Quick Links,” and select “Request a Match” in the top menu ribbon.
- Submit your Match Request following the steps provided in the form.
- Search for "Arbor Day Foundation" in the “Cause” field.
- Upload a donation receipt pdf or image file with donor name, donation amount, and organization name clearly listed.
- Enter “Boston Marathon 2020: Brandon Lewis” in the “Comments for Charity” field to ensure the runner gets credited for the campaign.