Each year 600 – 800 Young People Age Out of the Foster Care System in New Jersey
Aged out foster youth are among the most vulnerable, at risk populations in the U.S. After age 18, these young people leave the foster care system with the unrealistic expectation that they can live on their own without support from family, a place to live, adequate education, any financial resources, or access to healthcare and without even the most basic life skills. Many children in foster care experience physical, mental and sexual abuse resulting in significant trauma that is undiagnosed and untreated. Roots & Wings provides young adults who age out of foster care in NJ with safe housing, educational support, case management, counseling and life skills in order to empower motivated individuals toward self-sufficiency.
Aged-Out Foster Youth Are a Most Vulnerable, High Risk Population
· 40% become homeless
· Only 25% graduate high school by age 23
· Less than 6% earn a college degree by age 25
· 50% are unemployed
· 6 times more likely to have been convicted of a crime
Roots & Wings Helps Change the Lives of Aged-Out Foster Youth
from Poverty and Despair to Self-Sufficiency and Hope. In 2019,
· 90% of graduates stabilized their baseline mental health
· 83% of Graduates rent apartments without government assistance
· 100% are employed
· Graduates have become television producers, union carpenters, real estate agents, teachers, retail managers, healthcare workers, personal trainers, not-for-profit employees, cosmetologists.