Respond Crisis Translation is a network of translators and multilingual people who refuse to be silent when language is used as a weapon to limit freedom of mobility and make asylum even closer to impossible.
Too often, folks are denied access to essential resources or face unthinkable hurdles while moving through the asylum process because every form, interview, conversation, and service is in English. We believe that mobility and the right to asylum should never be impeded by language barriers and that all people deserve access to trauma-informed, excellent interpreting and translating as they move through the complicated process of applying for asylum.
One year ago, these values led us to form as a coalition of multilingual people who are committed to allying with and providing language support to the people and organizations at the frontlines of the fight against the xenophobic and carceral state.
We started a year ago, but we have already made immense impact.
- We have translated over 10000 pages for asylum cases and hundreds of essential resources for people who experience language-based vulnerability
- We have served over 1400 individual clients seeking asylum
- We have partnered with and served over 85 collectives and advocacy organizations
- We have grown teams of translators in over 55 languages
- We have over 1400 active volunteers from all around the world
Supporting language access is more critical than ever. We are in an urgent need of funding so that we can:
- Compensate indigenous language translators, who play an essential role in ensuring fairness in immigration court proceedings but who have disproportionately lost their incomes due to COVID19.
- Create fair income opportunities to COVID income-impacted translators.
- Ensure that our translators and project managers, many of whom have no income as a result of COVID and all of whom work around the clock to translate urgent and essential medical & legal documents, can earn a liveable wage.
- Continue to meet the growing need for language support for organizations supporting migrants, asylum seekers, and survivors of gender-based and identity-based violence.
- Serve grassroots advocacy collectives with limited to no budgets so that they can support their clients regardless of the language they speak.
Your support at any level makes a difference.
Donate $50 or more to receive a complimentary Limited Edition Respond Crisis Translation T-Shirt. *Please include your email address in your donation for shipping purposes*
Thank you for your consideration of support of Respond Crisis Translation. Please SPREAD THE WORD to help make this fundraiser a success!
If you’d like to help in other ways/volunteer with Respond, please visit our website: https://www.respondcrisistranslation.org/en/take-action