The goal is to help Gateway180 put together a reliable and secure wi-fi based network. Being a 100 year old building, the challenges to set that up are unique. We are looking for around $6000 to set this up. Fortunately, Mastercard provides a 100% match for donations for its employees; so if we raise $3000 here, as long as we apply for the match, we should be good! (Instructions below - minimum for match is $25)
The need is urgent as the school year just started this week.
The stress of online learning due to COVID-19 pandemic has affected many parents, especially the parents who are currently experiencing homelessness and are calling Gateway180 – a homeless shelter in St Louis their "temporary home".
With school aged children currently in shelter, there is no consistent or reliable source of internet access. For these children, the school day is delayed, with classes often interrupted and inadvertently missed. Students desperately seek access to a hotspot or hardwire into the shelter internet system. This is a very limited access, available for only one or 2 students. As a result, and with their interest in and thirst for education diminished, both parents and students are frustrated, recognizing that missed classes and assignments will impact learning and grades, leaving disadvantaged students even further behind.
This is a pain felt by all young students in our shelter, but has a more long term impact for the high-schoolers who are focused on achieving the grades necessary to get them into the college of their choice. The lack of internet access in an on-line school year will inevitably leave many of these young students behind for a long time to come.
Instructions for Mastercard match:
1. After the donation, please download the receipt
2. Go to Mastercard Giving platform and select Gateway 180 – Direct link (through MA laptops, ipads) : https://mastercard.yourcause.com/home#/give/charityprofile/747194/
3. Click on “Log an offline donation” button
4. Add designation ( To support fund raising efforts of ) and type “Mastercard WiFi project”
5. Click on Add to My cart and Checkout
6. Send the confirmation email/amount to Brandy Luetkenhaus so that we can track the donations