Together, with your financial support, we will be able to carry out vital projects to renew and preserve the beauty of this historic treasure while enhancing the visitor’s experience at the site.
Located on the island of Vinalhaven, Maine, Browns Head Light sits at the west entrance of the Fox Island Thorofare, overlooking the expanse of Penobscot Bay and the Camden Hills beyond. A light station was first established at Browns Head in 1832, with the current lighthouse and keeper’s house being built in 1857. An oil house, built in 1903, also remains on the site.
Browns Head Light is a unique cultural and recreational resource that is important to the island’s heritage and Maine’s maritime history. The grounds are open to the public and we are committed to ensuring this resource remains available to all.
- Rebuild the 75-foot wooden walkway leading to the keeper’s house – $11,500
- Repair and repaint the exterior of the lighthouse – $18,000
- Prep and repaint the exterior of the lantern – $10,000
- Install a new railing around the exterior of the lantern – $15,000
- Repair slates, flashing and ridge cap on the roof of the oil house – $5,500