I'm participating in my first ever powerlifting meet, and I shall use my mighty deadlift for good! Pull For Pride is on June 15th. It is a Deadlift-Only meet, benefiting Lost-N-Found Youth, an Atlanta based nonprofit (501c3) that exists to end homelessness for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ+) and all sexual minority youth. The suggested goal for fundraising is a $1 per pound you plan to lift. My current one rep max is 275, so this seemed like a good place to start. The deadlift is my favorite lift, and I can't think of a better reason to throw some weight around on a Saturday! If you're in the area and want to check it out, I'd love that! Here's The Facebook Event Page
Did you know?
National studies show that 40% of homeless youth identify as LGBTQ, as compared to 7% of the general population.
After coming out to their families or being discovered to be LGBTQ, half of all teens receive a negative reaction. More than 1 in 4 are thrown out of their homes.
How Lost n Found Youth Helps
- 24/7 phone, texts, and email response
- Emergency and transitional housing
- Emergency clothing and food for youth on the street
- Mental health evaluations and counseling
- Referrals to HIV/STD testing, health and dental services
- Assistance for lost or stolen birth certificates, driver’s licenses or state ID cards
- Referrals to GED training/testing and other education resources
- Resume writing/editing and interview skills training
They also have a dope Thrift Store to raise funds, so next time you feel like poppin' tags, check them out! https://lnfy.org/thrift-store/store-locations/