Peace Week Delaware is an expanded vision of peace led by the Movement for a Culture of Peace, which began organizing annual peace marches in Wilmington in 2014 and has held monthly public forums on how to achieve peace and address the impact of violence.
Peace Week Delaware 2019 will provide a coordinated outlet for that energy, widening the circle of nonviolent action across the state. The week of September 21–29 brings Campaign Nonviolence Action Week to life in Delaware. It also commemorates International Peace Day (Sept. 21) and the efforts of the United Nations to achieve international harmony.
To create Peace Week Delaware, the Movement for a Culture of Peace and community partners formed the Peace Week Steering Committee, which serves as a clearinghouse and organizer for Peace Week activities. We operate under these guiding principles:
- Umbrella organization for Peace Week Delaware
- Liaison with community partners and Movement for a Culture of Peace planning group
- Creates and maintains this website for Peace Week Delaware
- Provides framework and timeline for planning events
- Works closely with event organizers to support their events
- Orchestrates publicity and public relations