Outsider Collective (OC) is an arts based non-profit focused on serving the artistic and social needs of adults living with differing abilities, as well as Outsider Artists of all abilities.
Our founders created the OC as a safe place where individuals with and without differing abilities can come together to:
• Create and express themselves through art
• Learn valuable artistic skills
• Socialize and meet mentors and mentees
• Build confidence and self-esteem
• Market and promote their art and creations through various art shows and events throughout the year.
We meet our Members at their own individual skill levels and provide opportunities and a space for learning and growing.
With the recent closure of Resources for Human Development (RHD-RI), one of the most beloved day programs for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, as well as the COVID-19 pandemic, we found it urgently necessary to expand to a larger studio/gallery space within the Hope Artiste's Village which allows for more members and provides a sense of normalcy for the artists who previously attended RHD-RI.
The OC was originally a small art gallery, hosting monthly art shows and receptions showcasing the artwork of over 40 different artists from agencies dedicated to serving artists with differing abilities in RI, local artists with typical abilities, and even fine artists from Rhode Island to LA.
Being just over a year old and operated and managed by its 2 founders, we (along with so many others) are working hard everyday to be able to keep our doors open during this difficult time.
With help from our friends, community and supporters, we will be able to:
• Purchase needed art supplies and materials
• Purchase adaptive equipment for artists who need it for their artwork.
• Hire additional art instructors and staff for more workshops and classes
• Provide free memberships to those who are in need of it.
• Purchase necessary COVID-19 supplies
• Rent and other operational necessities to stay financially afloat during this difficult time.
We couldn't be more grateful to continue doing the work we are doing to help the community we love and to allow others to appreciate and enjoy their unique and vibrant creations.
We believe art and community are the cornerstones of a fulfilling and rewarding life.
Many thanks and much appreciation.
Jess and Carrie