Malawi, just like many countries worldwide, is still struggling to meet all the challenges a pandemic brings: loss of life; healthcare workers being overworked; shortages of life-saving equipment or medicines; and sick people waiting for days to find out if they have tested positive for COVID19 or have another ailment.
It is a relief that Malawi has received 360,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine with another 2.1 million doses on the way. However, this lifesaving intervention is not enough for Malawi's 18 million people. To bridge the gap, we are asking you to make a donation to procure more testing kits.
Malawi is still in need of testing kits to conduct proper surveillance to isolate COVID-19 cases and continue to curtail the spread. In addition, testing enables Malawi to:
- prepare for additional expected waves.
- monitor and trace the spread of COVID-19 as a preventative measure.
- ensure people get timely medical care if they test positive for COVID-19.
- scale up and opening more testing sites in rural areas.
Malawi needs approximately 70,000 PCR testing kits and 100,000 collection kits to scale up testing and open more testing sites in rural areas. On average, a testing machine costs $5,000 and a testing kit $40. The goal of this campaign is to work together to help raise enough funds to impact the country's testing capabilities by supplying more testing equipment.
You can help us provide testing equipment and save lives by making a tax deductible donation to our campaign.
Malawi Diaspora Network has launched this COVID-19 drive to raise $50,000 in coordination with the following 501 (c)(3) non-profit organizations:
- Malawi Association in Washington
- Malawi Community in the USA
- Malawians in Texas Organization
- Malawi Seattle Association
- Malawi Washington Foundation
- New England Malawi Association