PLEASE SUPPORT OUR NURSES
THEY NEED YOUR SUPPORT NOW!
"As a nurse, we have the opportunity to heal the heart, mind, soul and body of our patients, their families and ourselves. They may forget your name, but they will never forget how you made them feel."— Maya Angelou, author, poet and civil rights activist
Karleen Habin, RN, MSN was the Associate Nursing Director of the Cancer Clinical Research Program at the Massachusetts General Hospital for 18 years. In November of 2019 Karleen was diagnosed with stage four (IV), metastatic breast cancer to the brain. It is her last wish that as a group of nurse colleagues, friends, family, patients and extended community members, that we can come together to SUPPORT NURSING as this is her last wish during a very uncertain time. Read more about Karleen and her story.
Karleen was recently interviewed WCVB5's Chronicle. Watch her interview here.
The Cancer Resource Foundation, Inc. (Cancer1Source) Cap and Pin Challenge has expanded to extend Nationally with the following mission:
1. Create a Financial Relief Fund for Nurses on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic
2. Create a Nursing Research Grant Fund that focuses on collaborative practice
This fund was started to support Nursing, specifically research and to allow nurses to tell their stories, particularly in their formative careers including their pinning and/or capping ceremonies. However, during the time we set up the fund and Karleen's story was taped by Chronicle News about the fundraising mission, the COVID-19 Pandemic gripped our nation. Nurses have been on the front lines of this battle, including Karleen's daughter who is a COVID-19 ICU Nurse and mother of three young children.
We also have teamed up with Songs for the Soul to create a song for Nurses. A song of healing, strength and courage to help Nurses carry on. The mission of Songs for the Soul is to support the wellbeing of society's professional caregivers through storytelling and music and to foster a culture that celebrates and sustains compassionate care.
In the U.S. there are more than 3.5 million registered nurses. If each nurse, friend, patient, colleague or loved one of a nurse was able to donate even $5.00, YOU would help us in creating a legacy fund that would help to financially support nurses and support nursing science.
Lastly, this is Florence Nightingales 200th Birthday, the founder of modern nursing. It is said that she yielded a hammer more than a lantern. Learn more about her story and legacy.
We want to hear your stories however. Stories of your pinning or capping ceremony, why you went into nursing and what the profession means to you. Too, there are those heart-warming and heart-wrenching stories of our nurses who have been on the front lines of the COVID battle. We want this to be a form of “story board” that will live on in history. If you donate there isn’t a limit to the number of words that can be used to tell your story. Photos tell a story all by themselves and you can send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Are you a NURSE who received a pin or cap? Do you have a picture and story to share? We would love to hear it!
2. Are you a PATIENT who has a wonderful story to tell about a nurse? What was the impact of Nursing in your care? Did you participate in a research study that was conducted by a nurse scientist or was supported by a research nurse?
3. Are you a PHYSICIAN who can tell your story of a nurse and the impact that he or she has had on your practice?
4. Are you a SOCIAL WORKER, PHYSICAL THERAPIST, OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST, MEDICAL ASSISTANT, PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT, RADIOLOGY TECHNICIAN, SCHEDULER, NUTRITIONIST, HOSPITAL VOLUNTEER, GREETER, HOUSE KEEPING, LAB TECHNICIAN, PHLEBOTOMIST, ECG TECHNICIAN, GENETIC COUNSELOR? The list goes on. Please chime in and tell your stories, as it adds to the collective collaborative spirit that is the fabric of our professional lives.
5. Do you have a COVID-19 story to share.
Please again, be respectful of institutional and patient privacy rights and do not provide images or stories that are not compliant with states healthcare privacy laws.
Thank you for taking the time to read our story, tell your story and HELP the NURSES throughout the nation through your generous donations!
The power to share.
The power to inspire.
The power to make a difference.
Join our Nursing CAP and PIN Challenge.