Transplant Type - Heart In 2003,
UPDATE: I was blessed with a new heart on October 23, 2016 by a family of a young woman.
The gift was a miracle forme as my old heart was on its last beats very soon. I spent three months in the hospital and rehab learning to deal with the changes for the rest ofmy life. Insurance paid for a portion ofmy bills and we have been scraping by to pay for them and the immunosuppressant drugs that I will take for the rest of my life.
I started out at 56 pills a day and am now taking 26 pills a day that is very expensive. The three major immunosuppressants have a cost $475.00 each, every month, which we struggle to andmust pay. As many of you know, private insurance is also very expensive with the premiums going up. We have been blessed by all of the support from family and friends during this difficult time.
Each day is a blessing for us and I am getting stronger daily. The thing thatcontinues to be hard for us is Ican’t be around anyone who has been ill, protecting my immunosuppressive system. It makes getting out difficult. Bless you all. Sandy & Ray
Sandy's Transplant Story
Sandy was diagnosed with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy, a hereditary heart disease that has afflicted at least six members of her family. Doctors say a heart transplant is essential. Although some of her favorite activities have been scaled back due to her physical limitations, she still enjoys reading, puzzles, cooking, gardening, camping and spending time with her loved ones. S
he looks forward to the transplant that will allow her to return to work and resume her normal, independent way of living. But right now, she needs your help.
The average heart transplant costsnearly $1 million. And that’s only the beginning. Even with insurance, which will cover a portion of the transplant costs, she still faces significant expenses related to the surgery.
For the rest of her life, she will need follow-up care and anti-rejection medications, which are critical to her survival. Because of her health issues, she had to stop working in 2014, adding to her financial strain.
You can help by making a tax-deductible donation to NFT in honor of Sandy, where 97% of the funds donated will be used to help with her transplant-related expenses. The remaining 3% is an administration fee for the NFT.
If you'd prefer to send your gift by mail, please send it to the NFT Washington Transplant Fund, 3249 W. Sarazens Cir., Suite 100, Memphis, TN 38125. Please be sure to write "in honor of Sandy Byers" on the memo line. Thank you for your generosity!
Patient Health Institute: Oregon Health & Science University