Move More Month is about taking steps that help you sit less and stay in motion no matter where you are!
· Take a walking break today. Every minute counts!
· Stand up and do some basic strength exercises, like squats, wall pushups or calf raises.
· Take the stairs instead of the elevator, even if only for a floor or two.
· Grab a piece of fruit, some chopped veggies or a handful of nuts for a healthy snack that will keep you moving.
· Park a little farther from your destination and walk the rest of the way.
· If you sit for long periods of time, set a reminder on your phone or calendar to stand up and move every hour or so.
· Plan a family outing to do something active together this weekend.
· Stand up and see how long you can balance on one leg. Get competitive and challenge someone else.
· Take your dog for a nice long walk. You’ll both benefit. No dog? Walk with a friend, neighbor, kid or spouse!
· Walk in place, work out with weights or a resistance band, or do some yoga or stretching while you watch TV.
· Forgo fashion and wear a pair of comfortable athletic shoes all day. See if you’re able to move more.
· Stand up and move for one minute every time you get a call, text, email or social media alert. Pick whichever one gets you moving the most or get up for all of them!
· Long phone call? Don’t sit down—walk while you talk!
· Do some active cleaning today. Sweeping, raking, mopping, cleaning windows, washing the car by hand or vacuuming will get your heart pumping while you tidy up.
· See how long you can a hold plank position. If it’s too easy, try lifting one leg.
· Pull some weeds, or plant something outdoors. No yard? No problem. Try container gardening or working at a local community garden.
· Clear some space, put on your favorite music and take a dance break. Dance like noone’s watching!
· Pick up the pace while walking or exercising today for a burst of intensity.
· Listen to music instead of TV while you work, cook or do household chores. It may inspire you to move more.
· Stand up and take several deep breaths as you raise your arms above your head on the inhale and lower them back to your sides on the exhale. Do this anytime you need a quick energy boost!