About 830 women die every day due to complications in pregnancy and childbirth. That means more than 303,000 women will die this year, instead of being mothers to their children. That's one woman every two minutes.
Although 99% of maternal deaths happen in the developing world, the rate of maternal mortality in the United States is continually rising. In fact, the number of women who die giving birth in America has doubled over the last two decades.
Perhaps even more sobering is the fact that 98% of these maternal deaths are preventable.
In memory of these mothers, of the 830 women we will lose every day this year, I will complete 830 miles in 2019 in support of Every Mother Counts.
* * *
In addition to your donation, I invite you to join me in supporting Every Mother Counts:
- Register for The Mother Run, a virtual run/walk in August benefitting EMC.
- Download the Charity Miles app for free and log your runs, walks and cycles for EMC
- Shop the Orange Rose Collection for the special moms and women in your life
- Watch the series Giving Birth in America and other impactful documentaries at cnn.com/mothers
- Learn more at everymothercounts.org
- Follow me on instagram @motherofarun
- Sign up for a race as part of Team EMC
* * *