This is my second year serving as a mentor for Minds Matter, an organization committed to making college education a reality for high achieving high school students from low-income families in Boston and the Greater Boston area. Through a combination of individualized mentor support, professional ACT instruction, and access to top-tier academic summer programs, Minds Matter helps prepare these dedicated and driven students for college success.
For low-income students around Boston, being hard-working and high-achieving doesn't always equal opportunity. We believe that no student dedicated to earning a college education should be limited by their socioeconomic status, so Minds Matter is working to ensure that all students have access to a college education regardless of their socioeconomic status. The stats speak for themself: since opening its doors in 2003, 100% of Minds Matter graduating seniors have gained admission to four year- colleges. Impressively, this past spring, our graduates matriculated to the nation’s top universities, including Amherst College, Boston College, Dartmouth College, Tufts University, and Wellesley College, with an average first-year financial aid package of $45,000, which ensured their college education would be both possible and affordable.
This year, we are looking to raise $100,000 through our holiday fundraising drive. Every contribution, however big or small, makes an enormous difference in our program:
● $25 covers food during our sessions for one student for a full year
● $50 covers one student’s college application fee
● $100 provides transportation for one student to and from our sessions throughout the year
● $300 funds ACT tutoring for one student for a full year
● $1,000 covers the cost of a new laptop for one graduating senior
● $2,500 sponsors a student for a full year in the program
● $7,500 sponsors a student for ALL three years in the program
For more information on Minds Matter of Boston, please visit our website: www.mindsmatterboston.org