THE QUICK VERSION
MIMA needs your help! In order to continue receiving vital grant support, MIMA must raise an $18,000 match in public donations by December 31.
To make it happen, we're hosting "Band Together Charlottesville" at the Music Resource Center in Charlottesville on December 6th, 5:30-8pm. Will you help us meet our goal before we say goodbye to 2018?
Your tax deductible contribution enables us 1) to train talented educators and musicians as Teaching Artists and 2) to offer musical programs that improve students’ creative confidence and collaborative skills.
* If you're feeling funky, $5,000 can sponsor two full 10-week "Band Together" MIMA programs! (PERK: we'll also do a MIMA Teambuilding Workshop with your employees + custom video content)
* $3000 can provide scholarships for a full 10-week "Band Together" MIMA program! (PERK: we'll perform a MIMA House Concert at your location of choice).
* $1000 can sponsor our next MIMA Teacher Training (PERK: be the "Presenting" sponsor at your MIMA event of choice + 8 free event tickets + MIMA swag bag)
* $500 can train and place a new Teaching Artist in our school programs (PERK: 6 event tickets + 6 MIMA T-shirts)
*$286 can sponsor two students for a full year of MIMA Music education (PERK: 4 event tickets + 4 MIMA T-shirts)
* $143 can provide a FULL YEAR of music education for one student (PERK: free tickets for your family to the Dec. 6th "Band Together Charlottesville" event)
* $72 can provide a semester of music education for one student.
* $50 can provide a Teaching Artist's fee for one class.
A LITTLE MORE DETAIL
MIMA Music celebrates one of our most dynamic years of programming with an ambitious annual fund campaign. Here’s the deal: a generous and transformative grant from Stranahan Foundation has launched MIMA’s partnership with Elk Hill Schools, allowing us to provide collaborative songwriting residencies at their three Virginia sites in Charlottesville, Staunton and Goochland.
MIMA’s mission is to engage and enrich communities through music improvisation and songwriting experiences. Our vision is a world where every individual and community can access the transformative power of music.
Thanks to your contributions this past year, we’ve been able to employ 16 local Teaching Artists and create collaborative musical experiences for over 150 students in Virginia and New York. After two years of successful partnerships in Virginia, MIMA is now making Charlottesville its new home base! Don’t worry, even though our HQ is shifting to Virginia, we will continue offering programs in New York!
In Virginia, in addition to our partnership with the Elk Hill schools, MIMA has grown to deliver 15 programs in 2018, with partners like Boys and Girls Clubs, Friendship Court, Greenstone On 5th, and Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind, producing 10 original songs with titles like “Storm,” “Swervin’,” and “Countrytime Trippin’.”
In New York City, MIMA students at Boys Hope Girls Hope (BHGH) of New York composed the song “Dear Future Self” under the guidance of veteran Teaching Artist Phoebe Lichtey. Meanwhile, expert Teaching Artists Lesedi Ntsane and Will Simpson worked with students at The Castlewood School (PS 186) to write and record a graduation song entitled, “Last Year: A Big Shot.”
Help us train teachers and subsidize new music programs for students in schools and other host institutions by making a tax-deductible donation today! Donations to MIMA Music 501(c)(3) are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
PLEASE SHARE AND HELP US GET THE WORD OUT! THANK YOU!
"The louder they shouted, the more confident they seemed. They were creating and living together in that moment. Such is the power of improvisational music. That creative flame is what MIMA has sought to ignite since its origin in 2000." -Erin O'Hare, C-VILLE Weekly
"MIMA makes me feel like anything is possible. That creation isn't just something that you put together to make money off of, but something that you really feel." -Kentrell Loftin, MIMA Harlem student