MILE 2: DETROIT
My journey continues in my hometown of Detroit. I'm stepping into the shoes of Ebonie - a formerly homeless single mother who is now employed by The Empowerment Plan. Ebonie sews winter coats that turn into sleeping bags which are distributed to the homeless community. These coats are made with love, by those who understand the need firsthand.
MILE 2 QUICK FACTS:
1. Over 500,000 people are homeless in the U.S.A.
2. The #1 life-changing factor of ending homelessness is job-creation.
3. The Empowerment Plan has hired 65 homeless individuals, all of whom have secured permanent housing for their families.
4. 100% success rate - No one has fallen back into homelessness since gaining employment with The Empowerment Plan.
5. $125 funds a sleeping bag coat.
All donations directly benefit The Empowerment Plan, a Detroit-based nonprofit that hires previously homeless single parents to sew sleeping bag coats. Since 2012, The Empowerment Plan has produced and distributed over 30,000 coats reaching the homeless in all 50 states, all 10 Canadian provinces, and multiple other countries.