Have you, a loved one, or someone you know been affected by mental illness? Discussing mental health has been a sensitive subject and I am here to help Shred the Stigma associated with mental health. According recent CDC statistics:
* 1 in 5 Americans aged 18 or older suffered from a mental illness in the previous year. * 1 in 25 Americans aged 18 or older suffered from a serious mental illness, or mental illness or disorder with serious functional impairment that substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities
* Suicide, which is often associated with symptoms of mental illness, is the 10th leading cause of death the U.S. and the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 15-34.
So, why am I here sharing this with you and working to Shred the Stigma associate with mental health? I ride for Go4Graham, an organization whose mission is to support those suffering from depression, anxiety, and other brain disorders in honor of Graham Stingley.
Go4 Graham achieves this mission through:
1. Raising funds to support amazing groups such as the Helen and Arthur E. Johnson Depression Center at the University of Colorado, The National Network of Depression Centers, and the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation.
2. Increasing public awareness and compassion and decreasing stigma.
3. Promoting active, healthy lifestyles because there is strong evidence to suggest that exercise and social connections are two very important factors for the prevention and treatment of depression and anxiety.
4. We also partner with community foundations to host education events such as suicide prevention workshops.
For more information about Go4Graham, please visit here.
With the goal to Shred the Stigma associated with mental illness, I want to share my own experiences with mental illness. After witnessing the tragic death of a good friend, I was diagnosed with PTSD and a mood disorder, changing the way I interact with my friends, family and peers forever. With treatment, I’ve begun the healing process, and I want to help others around me who suffer from mental illness. This fall I will be racing cyclocross not only for Go4Graham, but also in memory of my good friend Bill Davis.
Will you help me Shred the Stigma associated with mental health? My goal is to raise $500 to help expand the mission of Go4Graham and improve mental health. Go4Graham is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization and all donations are tax-deductible. Thank you for your time and consideration. Please feel free to reach out to me with any other questions or comments you may have.