Measles & Rubella Initiative: Vaccinate a Village Social Competition
The Measles & Rubella Initiative (M&RI) is a global partnership to lead and coordinate efforts to achieve a world without measles and rubella. The American Red Cross is a partner with the M&RI along with the United Nations Foundation, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, UNICEF, and the World Health Organization.
· Measles is one of the most contagious diseases ever known and is a leading cause of death and disability among young children worldwide. Rubella can cause severe birth defects.
· In 2018, nearly 140,000 people lost their lives from measles complications—most were children. That means approximately 383 die from measles-related complications each day, or nearly 16 deaths every hour.
· No child should die of measles and no child should be born with congenital rubella syndrome. For less than $2, a child can be vaccinated against measles and rubella, making it one of the most cost-effective health interventions available.
· The M&RI helps increase vaccination coverage, supports vaccination campaigns, monitors outbreaks, and participates in solutions to strengthen immunization delivery.
· Since 2001, the Initiative has supported the vaccination of more than 2.9 billion children in 88 countries, reducing measles deaths by 73% globally (compared to 2000).
· In 2018, the M&RI supported 37 countries to implement measles campaigns that reached more than 350 million children with bundled vaccines, operational costs, or technical assistance.
How Can You Help?
As COVID-19 continues to spread, more than 117 million children are at risk of missing out on measles vaccines. Measles immunization campaigns have already been delayed in 24 countries and many more may be postponed. You can help children receive safe and effective measles and rubella vaccines by donating today. For as little as $2, you can prevent a child from severe health complications and death.
Starting today, gather your friends and family and form a social advocate team! Come up with a team name and encourage your personal and professional networks to donate to your team and share the impact of measles and rubella around the world! In planning your fundraising, visit http://redcrossyouth.org/mritoolkit for resources, fundraising tools, and ideas of how to make a difference!
For more information, please visit https://measlesrubellainitiative.org.
If you are unable to support financially but would like to help spread the word about this fundraising campaign and form a team, please visit http://redcrossyouth.org/mritoolkit