makeSPACE (Spearfish Partnership for Arts, Cycling, and Equity) is an innovative, collaborative, and community-based organization serving the Spearfish, South Dakota region. Founded in 2018, makeSPACE brings together the bicycle co-op, the arts community and those committed to equity and social justice in Spearfish, to create an indoor community space that can be used year-round. Through creative explorations and active lifestyles, the Spearfish community has learned to value diverse approaches and viewpoints. makeSPACE harnesses this energy to empower the whole community to participate in cycling, arts and equity programming. The funds raised in this challenge will go towards getting makeSPACE fully operational enabling us to host regular programming, open shop hours, and events for the community.
Some of the ways in which we’re fulfilling our mission:
-Our makerspace has salvaged and recycled materials available for all ages and abilities to create and play.
-Our bicycle shop has tools for community use and knowledgeable volunteers to answer questions.
-Through dedicated programming and education on equity-related issues we provide a welcoming space for everyone in our community, including those who are often marginalized.
We want to be able to run amazing programs; empower our community; pay the rent; pay artists, instructors, and our staff; keep our lights, on and ultimately serve YOU! We can’t do it without you! Your support is crucial to us and we’re thankful for the opportunity to increase your support through the A Community Thrives. Spread the Tunes has generously offered to be our fiscal sponsor while we wait for our tax-exempt status from the IRS. Your donation is tax-exempt because of this partnership. To learn more about makeSPACE and the way in which we want to enable all people to enjoy a just, healthy, and creative life, please visit makeSPACEsd.org
A sample of our upcoming programming in 2019 includes:
- Watercolor Pencils Workshop
- Girls on Bike summer camp
- Women and Trans* mentor bicycle mechanic series
- Group rides
- Bicycle Open Shop hours
- Elementary School Bike Train in May
- Bike to Work Week!
- An introductory workshop on Gender and Sexuality
- And More!
This Fall, funding permitting, we will ramp up our other programming with things like:
- After school artist programs with Kids Club Kids
- In depth workshops from local artists
- A creative coding club for high school students, that encourages learning coding to create art. Coding skills transfer into employable skills (e.g. web/software development).
- Weekly toddler and Pre-K programming
- Open shop hours in our makerspace
- Educational Social Justice workshops
- And program ideas YOU want to see happen in our community
Your support means so much to us! Thank you for helping us get off the ground!