We are a group of 60 students from Virginia Tech participating in a semester long study abroad program called Linking Lives: Creating Sustainable Social Change. In November, we will travel to Rwanda or Ethiopia to participate in experiential learning projects with non-profit organizations. This year we are fundraising for two exciting projects!
The first project is with Butterfly Onlus, an Italian nonprofit whose goal is to help meet the primary needs of underdeveloped regions. They focus on access to water, education, health care and support of families and children in need. The Butterfly Onlus has built over 300 wells and 25 schools throughout Ethiopia, Madagascar, Nepal, and Myanmar.
Currently, many students in Ethiopia have to stand or sit on the ground in their classes due to lack of seating. With your help, the money we raise will go towards building benches in primary and secondary schools. Just the small amount of $25.00 will provide an entire bench for an Ethiopian school to create a more comfortable and effective learning environment!
As a group, we have also been working on a semester long project to start LEGO Leagues in Rwanda and Ethiopia. These LEGO Leagues will help teach STEM Education, gender equity, and entrepreneurship. These are all valuable skills that both the Rwandan and Ethiopian governments are trying to develop, but are not currently taught in their local school curriculum.
For our second fundraising project we will be raising money to start the first LEGO League in Adigrat, Ethiopia at Bruh Tesfa. Bruh Tesfa is a youth development center which provides a safe after school place for children with sports and educational clubs, including a science club. This science club will be the home of the first LEGO League from our project! With your help, the money we raise will go towards purchasing the LEGO kits needed to start this program.
On December 3rd, we will be participating in our fundraiser, Lip Sync for LEGOS & Benches, to raise money for these two projects. We will be hosting a friendly, but competitive, lip sync tournament in the auditorium at Franklin University. We will be partnering up and going all out! In order to participate, students must raise at least $100. 25% of the money raised will go towards building benches for schools in Ethiopia through The Butterfly Onlus, and the remaining 75% will be put towards starting the LEGO League project at Bruh Tesfa. We have set a team fundraising goal of $10,000.
A $25 donation = one bench for a school in Ethiopia
A $200 donation = one primary school LEGO kit
A $330 donation = one middle school LEGO kit
A $400 donation = one secondary school LEGO kit
Any contribution is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your interest and support!