Your contribution will offer more Central Oregon children the unique opportunity to follow their passions in a beautiful Montessori Environment!
Desert Sky Montessori is the only tuition free Montessori charter school in Central Oregon. It offers an amazing educational experience to children in kindergarten through 6th grade. DSM currently enrolls 165 children from the Bend La Pine school district and surrounding areas. As a charter school, DSM receives 80% of its funds from the state and sponsoring district and is required to raise the other 20% from fundraising, grants and donations.
This school year is a year like no other. Due to Covid -19 regulations, DSM must have less children in the building to socially distance and needs to cover many state-directed restrictions that make it hard to raise funds through previously expected higher enrollments and our regular community-based fundraising events. Therefore, the success of our Giving Campaign is vital to our budget during this challenging time.
Why send your child to a Montessori Elementary School?
The Montessori philosophy has been around for over 100 years. It is proven effective, whether private or public, in countries all over the world and for students from all different backgrounds and cultures. DSM meet each child where they are at with individual work plans. Montessori helps children become independent learners. The classes have three-hour work cycles, so children have uninterrupted time to complete their work at their own pace. The children are in the same class for three years. This enables children, teachers and families to form very strong bonds.
Most of all we promote in children a love of learning and teach them to be lifelong learners!
Children in Montessori schools are are encouraged to learn by following their interests and their passions. They spend time researching and producing meaningful work. They become intrinsically motivated to work instead of responding to rewards and praise. Dr. Maria Montessori recognized children as the redeeming factor in the evolution of humankind. In order to bring about a world of peace and tolerance, it is important to focus and teach peace early. Having a peace curriculum in the Montessori classroom prepares children to be peace-seekers. The Montessori curriculum provides opportunities for students to build an awareness of their global habitat. Students will learn about the natural laws governing our planet, about the vulnerability of the environment and the vast diversities in the life forms and social cultures.
These experiences and lessons will help DSM students become more appreciative and responsible global citizens. Join us in our mission to inspire a life-long love of learning!