In Nigeria, over 1.8M students graduate secondary school annually but our tertiary institutions can only absorb a maximum of 700,000 leaving over one million unskilled and unprepared young people to join the workforce annually. And millions more drop out of school between the end of primary school and the end of secondary school. This is why Nigeria now has become the country with the largest population of extremely poor people in the world.
Junior Achievement Nigeria (JAN) empowers young people with financial literacy, digital literacy and entrepreneurship skills from a young age such that they are able to contribute to their family’s income right from secondary school. JAN reaches over 100,000 students annually with over 60% of our students coming from low-income families across the nation. In 2018, JAN began migrating its programs online so as to reach more students in remote areas across the country, however, the COVID-19 pandemic has forced us to move all programs online even faster as JAN schools shut down indefinitely.
Unfortunately, only 30% of JAN students have Internet access and the Internet-ready devices required to access the digital programs from home so we need your help to continue reaching the other 70%. This equates to about 70,000 students annually.
There are currently over 39 million students out of school in Nigeria with no access to digital education. History shows that if this continues, many will not return to school even after the lockdown is lifted and schools reopen. We are counting on your support to keep engaging our students while at home. A donation of $20 provides one student with one month’s access to JAN’s digital programs and keeps them learning fundamental skills for future success on various platforms such as WhatsApp, Zoom, Google Classroom and the JAN Learning Management System, which can be accessed from various sources provided to students nationwide. We are hoping to raise $140,000 through this platform to reach 10% of those students.
Join us, and let's keep our students learning together.