November is Native American Heritage Month, and this year we ask you to support our organization and learn about U.S.’s First Peoples of the land.
Our mission: empowers youth on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, and amplifies their voices by providing opportunities in the arts, education, sports, leadership and mentorship. LCE’s programs are tailored to meet specific needs of schools and community partners, and incorporate input from LCE’s Youth Advisory Board. LCE also provides education about the history and obstacles facing American Indian reservations today.
The Story: 100% of the donations from the CrowdRise Newman’s Own Foundation Holiday Challenge will go to LCE's programs for youth on the Pine Ridge Reservation like:
- Our annual that bring together 100 Lakota Youth (ages 12-24) to do an art workshop, conduct a community service project for families on the reservation, and receive a gift for the holiday season
- Mní Wičhóni (Water is Life) Writing & Art Challenge for Native Youth, which encourages youth to use their voices and artwork to bring about social change. This challenge engages a global audience of judges and fans
- , which bring together teams of Lakota Youth devoted to education, service and excellence
- , made up of Lakota teens from across the Pine Ridge Reservation who are committed to making positive change in their community
- Mini-grants to fund projects like college tours, youth board projects and to turn the ideas of the community into action.
- Supporting #NativeYouthVoices by publishing collections of and through our work as a sponsor for , an independently organized TED event that brings together both Native and Non-Native youth in a collaborative educational environment that bridges gaps between the community.
There are lots of charities out there. Why us?
- We ask you to about Pine Ridge Reservation and the U.S.’s first peoples of the land and the injustices that they face.
- Listen to what the youth themselves have to say -- we ask you about their stories and experiences, and then
- yourself and your friends and families in the movement to stand with Lakota youth and Native Americans this #GivingTuesday and November for Native American Heritage Month.