The Kim Patterson Cartwright Memorial Scholarship is managed by the Mountain of Hope Organization, a 501(c)3 Non profit Corporation in Mount Hope, WV. The Mountain of Hope Organization has awarded over $50,000 in scholarships to local students since 2012.
Kim Patterson Cartwright was a 1982 graduate of Mount Hope High School and a 1987 graduate of Tennessee State University, a historically black college/university. Kim fought and beat cancer multiple times. She was a lover of life and a servant to others. This scholarship will be a continuation of her service to others and an honor to her memory as it provides opportunities to the youth and descendants of the community that she loved and served faithfully.
The following categories of students will be eligible to apply for the Kim Patterson Cartwright Memorial Scholarship.
· High School Seniors from Fayette County, WV
· Descendants of Dubois High School (Mt. Hope, WV) Graduates
· Descendants of Mount Hope High School (Mt. Hope, WV) Graduates
· High School Seniors who have lost a parent or have a parent survivor or actively fighting Cancer.
· Students pursuing higher education at a Historically Black College & University (HBCU)
· GPA of 2.5 or higher
· Demonstrated service to the community through volunteer hours (40 hours minimum) in last 2 years of High School.
· Demonstrated service to support cancer patients in a volunteer capacity.
· Participate in/organize an annual cancer walk or fundraiser to support cancer research.
· Students pursuing a course of study in any of the following fields.
o Criminal Justice o Social Work
o Law/Legal o Religious Studies
o Counseling o Education o Family Studies
o Human Development o Health o Nursing
o Child Development