Hello and thank you in advance for taking the time to read our message. We are raising money for the Medina High School Choir Program that has not performed live since March 2020. Revenue from our live performances and various events has been eliminated.
With the ’20 - ‘21 school year well underway, Mr. Skidmore and his team of Directors have been working tirelessly to implement innovative ways to bring the best possible choir experiences to the students, despite the unusual challenges we’re facing today.
Historically, the operating costs of the choir programs are covered in large part through performance event ticket sales and other fundraising activities, but because of the extraordinary circumstances confronting us this year, most of these usual fundraising activities have been cancelled or severely curtailed. And to make matters worse we have incurred some new expenses as a result of the pandemic, such as the purchase of air filtration equipment for the choir room. Here’s a partial list of our usual revenue sources in a typical year which have already been cancelled or are facing cancellation or reduction:
- Loss of Showtime 2020 (last May), a large show with a budget of over $10,000
- Lost revenue of over $2,000 per quarterly choir concert
- Lost revenue from the cancelled fundraising activities during the summer and fall (car washes, dancing with Encore, Princess/Pirate event, musical concessions, donations from extra community performances, e.g., Brass Band of the Western Reserve, Kiwanis)
- Potential loss of revenue from our show choir competition, the Medina Midwest Showcase, which is the primary source of funding for Encore competition shows
In addition to funding each year’s activities, a significant part of Harmony Helpers’ mission is to help lay the foundation for future success. Many of the resources that benefit our students today – risers, lighting and sound controls, and choir robes to name a few – would not be available were it not for the hard work and generosity of the families, patrons, and students from previous years. Sustaining the MHS Choir Program is an ongoing effort that depends on all of us, every year, “paying it forward” just as our predecessors did for us. Some of the items on our Capital Plan to benefit Choir students into the future include the following:
- Air filtration equipment purchase for student health and safety
- Maintenance, repair, and replacement of dancing platforms, including immediate need for Z-Stand supports and straps and clips for securing platforms and set
- Additional sound equipment to allow for greater usage/application for rehearsals and performances
- Short Throw Projectors for our performances
We must bridge the gap in funding, not only to cover the costs for this year, but also to help ensure a full and vibrant program next year and beyond. This gives all of us – family, friends, businesses, community members, and anyone who loves choral music and appreciates the important role the MHS Choir Program plays in the lives of students year after year.Whatever you can give, no matter the amount, please know that your support means the world to these kids and everyone involved in the MHS Program.
Thank you so much for your support of the Arts and Music Education at Medina High School.