Kaurageous Love is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization focused on women's empowerment, philanthropy, and education efforts in primarily South Asian Sikh communities.
What began as a small group of young girls coming together to discuss the sexism in their community, has now grown into a 501c3 with hundreds of volunteers and supporters across the country.
We are entirely donation and volunteer run so donating to our mission means your funds are going directly into the community! Here are some of our favorite events over the past few years and represent the kinds of intitiatives we would like to continue going forward:
- Mother Daughter workshops built around bridging the generation gap and bringing empowering conversation into the household. From fun Bhangra dance classes to intimate and emotional communication workshops.
- Health Fairs that discuss stigmatized health topic such as mental health and substance abuse. Our previous health fair also held the first ever LGBTQ panel in a Sikh gurudwara. These fairs bring resources directly to our community which is otherwise underserved and underepresented.
- Food Pantries and PPE Distribution: as the COVID pandemic raged through our community, we were quick to use our community partners and resoources to provide necessary meals and safety to our community members.
- Voter Registration and Census: Sikhs are one of the most underrepresented communities in the US and directly reaching our community was essential this past year and going forward.
- Farmer's Protest fundraising and canvasing all across Queens to raise awareness and provide support to those fighting against injustice in India
- Workshop Series on love and consent, body image, philantropy, the pressure of being an American Sikh woman
Thank you truly to every single person who has ever supported us to build this organization to where it is today. Thank you to our wonderful artists, entreprenuers, and creatives who have donated their services for this fundraiser. KL is built entirely on kirpa (blessings) and ardaas (prayers). Thank you for joining us on this journey.
Link to google form to sign up for the raffle:
@kaurageouslove @muakirandeep @supermodfashions @immersedinyou @jujharu.ink @banisbaskets
Read more about us below from our May newsletter :)
Founded in Fall of 2016, Kaurageous Love aspires to create a community of dynamic and powerful womxn leaders by engaging young womxn to empower each other through enrichment programs, workshops, and events that serve to inspire individual and group consciousness. We strive to provide a safe and inclusive space where womxn of all ages can grow and support each other to realize their true potential and become fearless and impactful beings. We believe womxn can embrace who they are, can define their future, and can change the world.
This past year has been a whirlwind; with the onset of COVID-19, New York shutting down, and the many uncertainties, we transitioned over to online platforms, changing our game plan for the year to better accommodate these new conditions. We strengthened our partnerships with local community organizations, reached out to new members (shout out to all of our KL members), and planned events aimed at helping our community get through this crisis.
We partnered with South Queens Women’s March to bring you a Bhangra Class series, uplifting the spirits of our community during these trying times. We worked alongside local organizations, including the Caribbean Equality Project, Jahajee Sisters, Sadhana, Shakti Mission, to create multiple pop-up Food Pantries and PPE Distribution Stations, including our most recent one in front of the 118th St. Sikh Cultural Society Gurudwara in honor of Vaisakhi and in support of the Farmer’s Protests. We collaborated with ChhayaCDC and 2020 Census Outreach to get our community counted and make our voices heard!
We set up multiple Voter Registration Stations, getting our community registered to vote and aiding community members in filling out the census! Overall, we registered over 500 people in the community to vote, and helped over 1200 community members fill out the census!
As the COVID crisis hit closer to home at the end of 2020, we started spreading and sharing more resources with the community: from places to get the vaccine to PPE distribution, we ventured to make our community safer one mask at a time.
In December of 2020, the Farmer’s Protests in India became the largest strike in human history, a protest against harmful deregulation bills, hurting Kisaans throughout India. In order to give back to the kisaans, the people who have given us so much including the bread on our table, we organized a Pinni Fundraiser. The proceeds from this fundraiser were split between Khalsa Aid, Sahaita, and United Sikhs, all organizations who are working with Kisaans on the ground, providing them and their families with the necessities. With the help of our community, we were able to raise $2030!
We also started a campaign to spread awareness about the Farmer’s Protests within the Indian Diaspora and throughout the larger NY area; we put up Farmer’s Protest Poster throughout Richmond Hill, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, and Forest Hills! We even had members from different states reach out to us for posters, putting it up in their communities as well.
Now, we are asking for your help. In order to keep holding these events, we need funding for resources. If you are able to, we ask that you donate to our GoFundMe. All the proceeds will go directly to Kaurageous Love and will be funneled into our future events and workshops.
Uplifting womxn to live and lead powerfully!
With all our hearts,