The Commemorative Air Force Heart of America Wing will do a flight over Olathe, Kansas City and Overland Park areas on July 4th. The group will fly to honor WWII and Korean era Veterans at home, most of whom are in a high risk category. They plan to have four aircraft aloft, a 1940 Boeing PT-13, a 1942 Taylorcraft L-2, a 1952 Beechcraft T-34 and an RV in military colors.
A few of the local veterans getting a special flight over head are:
1) Dan Fedynich, WW2 US Army bomber crewman
2) Burton Madison, WW2 US Army bomber crewman
3) Vernon "Dick" Davy, WW2 US Navy veteran
4) Tom Hall, Korean era US Marine veteran
5) Gene Linder, Korean War era US Army veteran
In addition the group will overfly several retirement communities in Johnson County, Kansas, where some veterans currently reside.
The plan is for the airplanes to depart New Century Airport in West Olathe around 11:55 am, and return around 1:00 pm.