On November 3rd I’ll be running the SoFi Golden Gate Half Marathon with Every Mother Counts (EMC) to improve maternal health around the world! I feel fortunate to run and bring awareness to this cause as it is close to my heart! This is my 2nd year running this race with EMC and I’m ready to train hard for all the mamas out there!
Here’s why I run…
· Every day, 800 women will not survive pregnancy or childbirth, and many more will suffer from long-term disabilities
· 98% of these deaths can be prevented
· In some parts of the world, women must walk 8 miles to reach a public health facility, even while in labor
· The US has higher rates of maternal deaths than 45 other countries
· The number of women who lose their lives giving birth in the US has nearly doubled in the past 25 years
· An estimated 800 women in the US die from pregnancy or childbirth complications each year
· Roughly 40% of states have yet to put in place a system to educate and prevent maternal deaths
· Over half of all maternal deaths in the US can be prevented
Every Mother Counts, founded by Christy Turlington Burns in 2003, is a non-profit organization dedicated to making pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother.
When I gave birth to my daughter I endured a postpartum hemorrhage after delivery. I was fortunate I had a doctor and team who performed the life-saving medical procedures and follow up care. I get emotional thinking I might not have been able to hold my baby girl in my arms if I had been without a trained medical team.
I want EVERY mother to have the same opportunity of receiving preventative and life-saving medical care. I believe this is a basic human right for women around the world, and yet maternal deaths continue to rise, especially here in the US.
We run because distance is often the biggest barrier to a woman getting the care she needs. I’ll be the first to admit that training for this half marathon is no easy feat and takes time away from my own family, but I’m doing it because I believe in the mission of Every Mother Counts. We CAN make a difference together! I’m running for the mothers who lost their lives, for the children growing up without them, and for all women who deserve better access, care, and education to ensure a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
I appreciate any amount you can give! Your donations will fuel me through my training runs and across the finish line on Nov 3rd!
In love & gratitude,
“Every Mile Counts, because Every Mother Counts”