Keep Our Practice Strong!
The B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga Association of Los Angeles (IYALA) with its studio Iyengar Yoga Institute of Los Angeles (IYILA) were established in 1984 with the blessings of B.K.S. Iyengar himself.
For 36 years, we have provided the space, education and nurturing of students and teachers of Iyengar Yoga. The Institute is a place for higher learning - a place where students learn, teachers learn and teachers teach and mentor other teachers.
Then came a pandemic and the Institute was faced with the difficult decision to close its physical studio on La Cienega and adapt to a new yoga teaching and learning landscape. IYILA was among the first studios in the U.S. to go virtual, leading the way into the world of Zoom classes. We all had crash courses in new technologies, taking on new roles, new ways of teaching and new ways of learning. We have learned that we can maintain community beyond the four walls of our studio.
We are pleased that IYILA has been able to offer much needed teachings free of charge or at low cost. In order to continue our mission, we are asking for your financial support today.
This is some of what we have been doing since our pivot to online yoga to make yoga available to everyone:
- The first in the world to invite and co-host Abhijata Iyengar teaching online workshops
- IYILA Gives Back - a program of two weeks of free yoga to all essential workers in the Los Angeles region
- Free weekly two-hour workshops on Sundays with IYILA and visiting teachers - up to 700 students in a single workshop, practicing together from around the world
- Free weekly classes in Spanish - students attend from all over the U.S., Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries
- Free weekly classes for seniors - taught by IYILA’s longtime supporter and senior CIYT, Eric Small
- Two weeks of unlimited yoga for $25 for new and existing students
- Classes from teachers in India including a 4-week course taught by Devki Desai and Philosophy courses with Sanskrit scholars Edwin Bryant and Dr. John Casey
- Over 3,000 new students have joined IYILA classes or workshops in 2020
- Hosted an International Yoga Day celebration with free classes offered in 6 different languages accessible in multiple time zones.
Our 2021 schedule continues to grow and expand with:
- Exciting workshops with renowned senior CIYT teachers from India, Australia, United Kingdom, Italy, and Denmark
- New early morning classes
- New evening classes
- New Beginner classes
- New Yoga On Demand Platform
Today your financial help is critical and our existence depends on your generosity. In order to keep offering classes, we have a goal to raise $30,000 by the end of January 2021!
Please help us achieve our goal by making a tax-deductible donation today and continue to show your support of our Los Angeles Iyengar Yoga community.
Iyengar Yoga Association of Los Angeles