As we watch these unprecedented events unfold in our country (and the world) due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our thoughts are with all those being both directly and indirectly impacted. Healthcare workers are risking their lives to care for patients. Teachers are struggling to keep up with the demand of educating their students from a distance. Businesses and families alike are bracing themselves for the financial impact of the restrictions put in place that are necessary to keep our most vulnerable safe.
It’s a Sensory World! remains steadfast in our commitment to serving children with special needs and their families. We are able to continue serving some families enrolled in our Academy program, on-site, due to the childcare license we hold with the Texas Department of Health and Human Services. Most families have chosen to keep their children home, some of whom are immunocompromised. In addition, we have had to cease all other programming such as InterActive Kids, Acceptional Sports and Sensory Circuits.
This creates a unique challenge for our parents and our staff. Parents are giving their best efforts to engage their children, many of whom require constant supervision, while trying to work from home. Our staff has worked tirelessly to create an off-site, special education program to ensure that our children are not just surviving during this crisis, but thriving despite these new challenges.
Like many nonprofits, It’s a Sensory World! is bracing for the potential catastrophic effect this could have on our center. Right now, tuition from our programs accounts for just 70% of our operational costs, requiring us to fundraise for the remaining 30%. In fact, tuition from programming covers just our salary burden alone and does not account for rent, utilities, Sensory equipment, curriculum, specials and other critical operational expenses.
Every spring we host our Annual Casino Night, which is our biggest fundraising event of the year. This year, we will have to postpone our event in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. Without this event, our center is unable to raise roughly $110,000.00 to keep us operational for the remainder of our fiscal year.
We are reaching out to the public for your help, to ensure that the 300+ families we serve yearly, have a center to return to when this crisis has subsided. Together we know we can weather this storm and continue providing these life changing programs for children with special needs.
We’re all in this together! Thank you for your support!
“Every storm runs out of rain.” -Maya Angelou