This is a fundraiser in memory of my father. Some of you may know my father suddenly passed away on 28 December 2018 of a suspected PE. What we thought was just a cold turned into one of the most devastating days of my life. My dad, Timothy Lloyd, was a man of honor, love and commitment. He was a ray of light, he never meet a stranger only a new friend but he was/is my hero. On 6 April 2019 I will be running the Disney Star Wars 10k a Run we both signed up for but do to unfortunate events I will be running it in memory of him not with him. I want to start this fundraiser in his honor to give you all information and awareness about the dangers of blood clots.
March is blood clot awareness month the following information was pulled directly from the National Blood Clot Alliance page.
Blood clots do not discriminate. They affect people of all ages, race and gender. One of the most important things you can do to prevent blood clots is to know if you are at risk. The risk factors for blood clots include:
- Hospitalization for illness or surgery
- Major surgery, particularly of the pelvis, abdomen, hip, knee
- Severe trauma, such as a car accident
- Injury to a vein that may have been caused by a broken bone or severe muscle injury
- Hip or knee replacement surgery
- Cancer and cancer treatments
- Use of birth control methods that contain estrogen, such as the pill, patch or ring
- Pregnancy, which includes the six weeks after the baby is born
- The use of hormone therapy, which contains estrogen
- A family history of blood clots
- Confinement to bed or wheelchair
- Sitting too long, especially with legs crossed
- Age 55 or older
- Long-term diseases such as heart and lung conditions, or diabetes
Symptoms of a Blood Clot in the Leg or Arm (Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT)
- Pain or tenderness not caused by injury
- Skin that is warm to the touch
- Redness or discoloration of the skin
If you have these signs or symptoms, alert your doctor as soon as possible. Symptoms of a Blood Clot in the Lung (Pulmonary Embolism or PE)
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain that worsens with a deep breath or lying down
- Coughing, or coughing up blood
- Faster than normal or irregular heartbeat
Seek immediate attention if you experience these signs or symptoms.
If you have or know anyone who has these symptoms please go get it checked out. If we all as a group can become more familiar with the signs and symptoms just maybe we can save someone’s life and you will not have to go through what I have. In loving memory of my Dad.