On the 19th January 2019, Adrian Mannix from the ‘Aussie Mudders’ will be running in the HURT 100 mile race (161km) in Hawaii. Participation in this epic run will be used to help promote Depression2Extinction (d2e) and the fund raise for their programs that aim to eliminate the STIGMA of Depression. Normally more at home on the obstacle course, he will be hanging up his spandex and gloves to undertake this different style of running challenge.
The race itself has 5 loops of 20 miles (32 km) and 4,900 feet (1.5 km) of accent / decent each loop. The race participant finishing rate is less than 50%.
“This will be a very different type of running style for me. It will be great to be out there running for a good cause.” explained Adrian.
Over the past year the Adrian has been no stranger to running ultra marathon style events and has raised money for charities in the progress. In the process some impressive mileage has also been clocked up:
• March 2018 – Gone Nuts 101km Adventure race (Finisher), 18hrs 8 min
• July 2018 – Adelaide 24 Hour (Finisher) – 151.80km
• October 2018 – Ned Kelly Chase 100km (Finisher) – 11hrs 11min
“I really like the approach d2e are taking to address these issues, it’s completely different to what other organisations are offering in this space. I thought this would be a great opportunity to contribute” said Adrian.
Mental health issues and its impact in society is an ever growing trend around the world:
• 300 Million people of all ages suffer from depression globally
• 2/3 of people with depression do not actively seek nor receive proper treatment
• The total economic burden of depression is estimated to be $210.5 billion per year.
• 80% of those who received support for depression show an improvement within four to six weeks
“D2e programs focus on physical movement, mindfulness and human connection, which aims to change the way society addresses and perceives mental health and depression” explained Adrian.
All proceeds for this campaign will all go directly back to supporting the 3 primary programs at d2e:
1. Everyday Ambassador Athletes
2. YourStoryMatters Small (Support) Groups
3. HEAL Events (Helping Emotions Allow Listening)
Support this epic run and d2e - It’s not every day that you’re able to do something so amazing. Make today that day.