Thank you! In just one month, over 60 people connected to the Harbor Springs community came together and raised over $12,000 for the HSOS fund. Your gifts will help future Harbor Springs High School graduates further their education. If you missed the deadline to give, please do not worry. The fund is still open for donations on the PHSACF online giving website, which you can find here: https://www.phsacf.org/giving/donate/. Just select "Harbor Springs Opportunity Scholarship Fund" for the fund name prompt.
The Harbor Springs Opportunity Scholarship Fund puts Harbor Springs High School graduates on a path toward achieving their dreams - whether that means furthering their education at an accredited college, a university, a trade school, a technical school, or a vocational school. Your donation today will help get them there.
THE NEED: Why do scholarships matter to our Harbor Springs graduates?
Student Debt: 70% of students graduate college with student debt. Our goal is to support students graduate debt-free after they complete their educational journey as well as to help them start their journey into the professional world. (Source: The Institute for College Access and Success)
Job security: Having a degree allows you to find and keep jobs. Four out of five jobs lost in the great recession were held by workers with no post-secondary education experience. (Source: Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce)
Earnings: College graduates make more money. For those who are employed, the average college educated worker earns 84% more than a worker with only a high school education. (Source: U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics)
JOIN THE CAMPAIGN: May 1- May 31, 2019
• Donate to the HSOS fund! Join us by making a meaningful gift today to help HSHS graduates further their education. Every gift matters!
• Spread the word! Share this information on your social media channels to help us broaden our reach. Tell everyone you know this campaign is happening in May.
ALERT: MATCHING GIFT!
Gifts made to the Harbor Springs Opportunity Scholarship Fund from May 1st until May 31st will be matched 1:1, up to $2,500. Thank you to Lake Charlevoix Landscaping and Kimberlee's Kleaning for making this exciting gift match possible!
Amanda Curnow: "I am honored and grateful that I was selected as the first recipient. I am overjoyed that my ambitious efforts throughout high school were not unnoticed." (2017 HSOS recipient, Oakland University)
Annie Lesky: "I appreciate that the scholarship focused on education beyond high school. There are a lot of scholarships for sports or other groups but not many that focus solely on education." (2018 HSOS recipient, Michigan State University)
The HSOS Fund was established in 2016 by three Harbor Springs High School alumni from the class of 2009 and is proud to be a fund within the Petoskey-Harbor Springs Area Community Foundation.
• This cause is awesome! Can I give via check? Yes! Give via mail by sending contributions to 616 Petoskey St #203, Petoskey, MI 49770. Please make checks payable to PHSACF and write "HSOS Fund" in the memo line.
• Is my gift tax deductible? Yes! Gifts to this campaign are tax-deductible and you will receive a gift receipt.
• What is an endowment? Endowment funds are invested for the long term by the Petoskey-Harbor Springs Area Community Foundation. Your gift this month will help grow the HSOS fund to become a permanent endowment account, and earnings from these investments grow over time to fund our philanthropic priority of supporting Harbor graduates in their educational pursuits forever.
• Where can I learn more about this cause? Visit hsosfund.org.
• Questions or want to get more involved? Contact the fund co-founders, Emily Miller ‘09, Allison Mooradian ‘09, and Kyle Nowels ‘09, at firstname.lastname@example.org!