Hope Restored travels through the US in response to earthquakes, fires, floods, hurricanes, ice and snow events, and tornados.
The past year has proven extremely difficult with the pandemic resulting in limited ability to travel to disaster sites due to lack of lodging and restroom facilities. Byron did make multiple trips and slept in the back seat of the truck during the travel to and from the disaster sites. Comfort, cold, and personal safety resulted in minimal (<2 hours) of sleep each night during travel.
To improve our ability to increase our responses, length of responses, and extend the distances we can travel, we are acquiring a truck camper. This will provide many significant benefits for the ministry:
· During Travel to and From a Disaster Site
- Ability to have good rest, increasing travel safety.
- Availability of facilities.
- Ability to perform meal preparation.
- Increased personal safety.
· During Deployment Time at a Disaster Site
- Ability to have good rest without exposure to unknown health status and impact from others
in a communal sleeping room. This would allow a significant health safety benefit.
- Ability to extend deployment times.
· Extend Travel Distances
- The increased ability to have good rest, increasing travel safety, would permit traveling longer distances. This will increase our reach and ability to serve in a greater area.
We have researched truck campers and have found a limited selection based on the truck’s capacity. Within this selection we have determined that a unit that will provide the basics will run approximately $26,000 for a new unit. We have looked extensively at used units but have found that the costs for repairs would make it more logical to buy new.
Will you prayerfully consider helping Hope Restored mobilize to serve people effected by disaster?