While most of us look forward to the holidays with anticipation, for some the months of November and December are anything but joyful. The holidays for those struggling with financial problems, health issues, and loneliness can be a time of increased sadness, and stress.
At Holiday Express we work year-round to ensure no one is alone at the holidays. We bring the healing power of music and friendship to those who need it most:
- Adults coping with physical disabilities such as cerebral palsy and spinal injuries
- Homeless veterans with PTSD and mental health challenges
- Residents of long-term psychiatric facilities
- Individuals in addiction and recovery programs
- Children and adults with developmental disabilities
- Critically ill children living in long term care facilities
- At risk youth aging out of the child welfare system
- Women and children escaping domestic abuse
- The working poor and those living on the street
Why we need your help:
Now is the time of year when we purchase supplies for our 100 charity events held during November and December.
One of our biggest expenses are the gift bags we give to each of our 27,000 guests – a well-stocked canvas duffle bag of brand new, practical items that can be used not only during the holiday season but in the months to follow. For many of our guests this is the only gift they will receive during the holidays.
Each bag is customized to fit the individual needs of our guests. For example, the gift bags to be handed out at the eleven homeless shelters we visit will include rain ponchos, warm hats, and gloves; while the 4,000 children’s bags are geared towards play and in addition to the basics contain crayons and activity books; bags destined to our many developmental centers often include easy to wear adult mittens and playing cards.
Your gift of $10 or more will help us fill each duffle bag with personal care and hygiene products including a tooth brush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant.
Thank you for helping Holiday Express deliver the gift of human kindness.