Hiking for the Homeless – Rochester Families – Hike the Long Trail in VT – September, 2019
The families of RAIHN are homeless families and need a place to sleep at night. RAIHN is Rochester Area Interfaith Hospitality Network. It “is a not-for-profit, interfaith, culturally-competent organization that assists homeless families to achieve sustainable independence by supporting them with tailored services including shelter, food, personalized case management, and a diverse network of caring volunteers.” RAIHN is an affiliate of Family Promise.
· Rochester, NY is the 3rd poorest city in the United States, among the top 75 metropolitan areas.
· More than 700 individuals are homeless each night in Rochester and its suburbs, including 100 families with children.
Response - provide housing, meals and care at churches:
· 4,579 total number of bed nights serving 40 families, including 73 children in 2018
· 41 is average length of stay in days
· 85% of RAIHN families remain in permanent housing after one year
Please join me with your contribution to RAIHN of $35, $60, $100, $200, $500 or more. To donate, please click on the "donate" button in the top-right corner of this page, or send a check with a note that says your contribution is going toward Phil Arnold’s Hike for the Homeless, and mail it to RAIHN 142 Webster Avenue, Rochester, NY 14609.
You can ALSO help fundraise by clicking on "Help spread the word!" below.
Ten years ago I hiked the Southern part (104 miles) of the Long Trail (LT), when I was hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT), where both trails are together. Now I plan to complete the LT by hiking the rest of VT up to Canada (167 miles).
For more information, go to https://www.raihn.org/.
Thank you so much!