Myself, Jessica Krugman and Pianpian Wu are pediatric resident physicians at Stony Brook Children's Hospital. Each year, three residents in our program are selected to travel to Uganda, Africa, where we spend time working to help serve their patient population and learn an incredible amount regarding global health. Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, traveling to Uganda will not be possible for the three of us - however, we will have the opportunity to work with some of Uganda's physicians and health care facilities remotely!
A key aspect of this experience that we would like to maintain is our effort to fundraise for the children, families and healthcare facilities of Uganda. We are therefore asking our families, friends and colleagues for their support! We have created a gofundme that is linked to ATLAS, an organization that our program has worked with for years, and one that functions to disperse our donations to smaller organizations throughout Uganda. Below are some examples of the impact our donations have in their community:
• 33¢ = a course of amoxicillin for a baby with pneumonia
• 50¢ = a full topical treatment for a child with a fungal rash
• $1 = tea and lunch for a health worker working hard all day at a clinic
• $2 = a full course of malaria treatment for an adult or child
• $3 = transport cost for a highly trained health worker to travel to a rural village for outreach services
• $5 = enough kerosene to light a delivery room at night for 2 weeks
• $10 = the cost of a mosquito net to prevent malaria for 2 years
Thank you in advance for your kindness!
- Sara, Jessica and Pianpian