The Human Rights Advocates of Coos County is thrilled to include the Growing Through It (GTI) program into our mission to promote equal rights and dignity for all through education and advocacy.
GTI services provide direct advocacy to people who live outside, have mental health conditions and who have fallen through the cracks of local support systems. GTI is playing a unique role during this unprecedented times of the COVID19 Pandemic. Having spent 8 years establishing trust amongst vulnerable community members, GTI’s presence currently maintains hope, emotional support & more. We have made and provided 30 masks that have been made and donated for people in need.
Starting in late March, with the support of community members & local businesses, we have already assisted people with food (serving 110 meals a week), shelter (purchasing 6 tents, 3 tarps and 5 sleeping bags), camping supplies, laundry cards, transportation to showers & tokens, and assistance with applying for taxes, SSI, SNAP & DMV needs, and given access to food & health resources.
We are managing an equitable recycling program while the can machines are off for community safety. Some people rely on recycling income for food and essential needs.
We are also working with community members who are cleaning up the trash from abandoned camp sites.
GTI is committed to remain available through this crisis and thereafter.
Donated funds will be used as needed to:
1. Continue our current efforts to directly support people living unsheltered, on the streets and in the woods.
2. Buy socks, tents, sleeping bags, tarps, food, feminine hygiene items & cleaning supplies for unsheltered families & in-need individuals.
3. Purchase elastic for making masks for constituents. Community volunteers will sew as many masks as needed (estimating 400).
4. Pay for dump fees so our Mother earch ill have a bit less trash on her.
5. Serve the citizens who live in the 40 units at the Spring Tide Trailer Park on an as-needed basis. GTI will ensure that each family or individual at the Park have food, TP, bottled water, paper towels & cleaning supplies adequate for a 3+ week supply.