As the Executive Director of the YWCA Pasadena, you know that the empowerment programs we have for girls are near and dear to my heart. We are dedicated to helping young girls in our community overcome barriers that prevent them from reaching their academic and career goals. One of the programs that has lifelong impact is our Girls Rise Leadership Camp. Our camp is built on 4 tenants: girls empowerment, life skills, culture, and future. We want the girls who attend this amazing summer program to have a solid foundation on which to build their future. BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate today and help provide a scholarship for a girl to attend summer camp!
By supporting Girls Rise Leadership Camp, you are contributing to the creation of new women leaders in our community. It is vital for girls to have self-confidence to succeed. They must be unafraid to fail, undaunted by criticism and cynicism of their abilities, and be able stay true to their innate strengths. Your support will help us create a solid foundation from which the girls can build their skills and confidence to become the leaders of tomorrow.
“I would look at myself and I would see just a regular girl – but they [the YWCA] saw something much bigger than that.” – Amy M., a 3 time alumni of our summer program. Amy received a scholarship in 2017 to attend Cal State LA, the first in her family to attend college.
Our program focuses on four pillars of development for the girls: empowerment, life skills, culture, and future. We make representation a priority by inviting guest speakers who are successful women of color. We expose them to new experiences by taking the girls on field trips, and providing engaging workshops and team-building activities. But we need your help to cover the cost of scholarships for the girls!
Here are some of the things that your donations can make possible:
- $50 pays for supplies for the girls to tie-dye t-shirts.
- $100 pays for healthy snacks or breakfast or provide bag lunches for girls whose families are unable to provide lunch during the program hours.
- $350 dollars pays for admission to Hansen Dam to keep the girls active and show them that exercise can be fun.
- $500 will pay for a bus to tour universities (to help girls envision themselves on campus), visit museums such as the California African American Museum, and explore La Plaza de Cultura y Artes to foster an understanding of cultural history and to become more inclusive, fair, and respectful of others.
- $1000 funds a scholarship for girls who don't have the financial means to attend camp. They'll be able to explore colleges, immerse themselves in culture at museums, learn leadership skills, and meet successful women in a variety of fields.
We need your help! By making a donation to the YWCA Pasadena today, you can help us change the world, one girl at a time! Please sponsor a girl, a field trip, supplies, or even a just a day of healthy snacks for our girls. You can help make a difference in our summer camp girls' lives. We depend on you!
With many thanks,