As a result of the COVID-19 crisis, Tampa Theatre has been closed since March and we had to either cancel or postpone over 100 events, which would have served over 60,000 patrons in our community.
More than 60% of our revenue comes from ticket sales, concession sales, and rentals of the Theatre. Therefore, our non-profit’s earned income, which was averaging about $170,000 per month before the shutdown, has dropped down significantly. Our personnel and facility-related fixed costs continue at more than $100,000 per month, which means that a major portion of our revenue for this year and our service to the community has been in peril.
However, the good news is that our re-opening plan has finally come into focus! After working on our re-opening plan with infectious disease specialists, we know that major upgrades to our HVAC and air handling system are needed to be able to welcome guests inside the Theatre again. We are now working on making those significant updates, which include a new bipolar ionization unit and a new air handler to increase the amount of fresh air circulating in the building.
The total cost for this project is $525,000 - about half of which will be covered by the CARES Act grant voted by the Hillsborough County Board of County commissioners.
TODAY, WE ARE ASKING FOR YOUR SUPPORT to underwrite the costs of these major upgrades so we can re-open safely and serve our community again in 2021!
We need you now more than ever.
Because we’ve received incredible support from our community throughout this global pandemic, we want to give back to ALL OF YOU who support our city's majestic and only movie palace TODAY:
- For every $25 donation, you can pick up a FREE popcorn bag and a to-go-signature cocktail from Tampa Theatre on Giving Tuesday*
- For every $50 donation, you'll also be entered to win a FREE Tampa Theatre membership, valued at $200
- For every $100 donation, you'll also be entered to win a FREE Ghosts of Tampa Theatre or Balcony to Backstage history and architecture Tour for up to 20 people**
- For every $500 donation, you’ll also be entered to win a FREE “You Ought To Be in Pictures" photo session**
- For every $1,000 donation, you’ll also be entered to win a FREE Private screening at Tampa Theatre for up to 20 people**
The winners will be announced on December 2nd at 10:00AM on Tampa Theatre social media channels and contacted via email.
*Pickup at Tampa Theatre on Tuesday, December 1st, 2020 from 4pm to 7pm.
**All prizes expire December 1st, 2021 and the Photo session and Tour of the Theatre must be booked 30 days in advance. The Private screening at Tampa Theatre must be booked 8 weeks in advance and is pending on the Theatre calendar and film availability, excluding holidays.