“This is so obtainable. Small tiny houses cost a few grand; with the right hands and the right people we can have homes for everybody within a year. There’s no need to continue this suffering.”
— Meg, original organizer
We have two videos from the walk:
Thank you everybody who walked and supported the walk!
Give Us Shelter is a walk to Salem to support housing justice. We need your support to pay the myriad expenses, including food, shelter, permits, and many other things.
All donations are tax deductible. You will receive a receipt by email.
Our state is facing a crisis! Wages remain low while housing becomes more and more expensive, throwing many low income people and families into deeper poverty. This causes many people to be or about to be homeless. Affordable housing is in short supply over burdening the community as a whole and creating friction between the housed and unhoused. This is not just an urban situation.In light of these problems we are asking the Governor and the Oregon Legislature to do the following things:
- Declare a statewide Housing State of Emergency
- Stop the inhumane and unconstitutional sweeps when there is no place for people to go
- We demand affordable housing for all
- We demand an end to the targeting of homeless people by the police
- We demand basic services, water, trash, and toilets
- We demand that self-governing, peer run, innovative communities are allowed
If you can't donate, please consider supporting us in other ways!
Also, we would love for you to walk with us for as long as you would like. Please see our registraition form. We would appreciate a $30–$50 donation to cover expenses, but of course no one will be turned away!
Any excess money will go to Hazelnut Grove, a village of formerly houseless folk that began organizing in late 2015.