Given recent events happening here in Minnesota and in the entire country, our group has decided to help raise funds for Legal Defense and Educational Fund (LDF) of the NAACP. We are not alone in this endeavor, we are joined by thousands of people all over the country and the world but we hope that you, our friends and family, will help us help them.
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc is an incredible organization that’s actively achieving success in racial justice, equality and building an inclusive society. Properly funded, this organization has the ability and resources to make a fundamental difference in tipping the scales of racial inequality in the courtroom and the streets.
Founded in 1940, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights legal organization. Initially the legal arm of the NAACP, LDF has been a wholly separate and independent organization with its own Board of Directors for nearly 60 years. LDF was founded by civil rights activist Thurgood Marshall at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality.
Today the LDF seeks to:
1) increase equity in education by increasing graduation rates (K-12 and college) among African Americans;
2) foster adoption of racially equitable and research-based approaches to school discipline;
3) ensure compliance with the Voting Rights Act, National Voter Registration Act, and other voting rights laws;
4) ensure that the job selection process does not negatively impact African Americans;
5) reduce employment barriers to those with criminal records
6) decrease disproportionate incarceration and sentencing as well as racially biased exercise of discretion by police and prosecutors.
So we invite you to join us in supporting them.