The Down Syndrome Association of Minnesota empowers, connects, and celebrates individuals with Down syndrome and their families. We do this by offering information, support, and opportunities. Heather is so proud to be on the board for this organization. Because of donors like you - we have been able to accomplish SO MUCH this year, including:
- 19 in person parent groups and 5 online discussion groups serving families across the state of Minnesota.
- Information and direct support for newly diagnosed families through our medical outreach, publications, one-on-one parent support programs.
- Partnership with Jack's Basket for 1 year gifts and 1st Birthday Bash*
- Disability Day at the Capitol in partnership with our friends at The Arc Minnesota*
- World Down Syndrome Day Celebration @MOA
- World Down Syndrome Day Classroom Kits delivered to 100s of classrooms across MN including books and lesson plans for teachers and parents to raise awareness and foster inclusion.*
- Partnership with Children's Minnesota for sexual Education for parents of tweens, teens, and adults covering puberty and healthy relationships.*
- Family picnics in Bemidji, Brainerd, Duluth, Rochester, St. Cloud and the Twin Cities.*
- Partnership with iCan Shine for Bike Camp, teaching a crucial lifelong skill that fosters inclusion, aids in independence, and promotes healthy living.
- Back to School Parent Nights to equip parents with tools and supports to proactively communicate with teachers.*
- Statewide Learning Conference spanning two-days with leaders in the area of education, medicine, advocacy and more.*
- New employment programming to be launched this fall.*
- Additional partnerships with Lutheran Social Services, Roots21 Farm, Gigi's Playhouse and more to empower, connect, and celebrate!
*denotes programs and activities that are new or significantly expanded since Jan. 1.
We are a 501c3 nonprofit organization. The bulk of the programming listed above is offered free to families. For those programs that have a charge, it is heavily subsidized by sponsorship and our fundraising efforts, like Step Up for Down Syndrome. In addition, memebership is free and we offer scholarships and a sliding scale for programming to ensure that ALL FAMILIES can access our programming.
WE CAN CONTINUE TO EXPAND HIGH QUALITY PROGRAMMING THIS YEAR AND IN YEARS TO COME BECAUSE OF YOU! THANK YOU!