For over 30 years, Georgia Justice Project (GJP), a legal nonprofit located in the heart of the Atlanta's Martin Luther King Jr. historical district, has served low-income Georgians who have come in contact with the criminal justice system. While members of our staff work remotely to serve our clients, we are anticipating the challenges our clients are likely to face during the COVID-19 crisis and how our services are needed more than ever for individuals who were already experiencing decreased access to employment and housing due to a criminal record.
Many people in Georgia's communities face a revolving door of crime and poverty – especially those who are homeless, or struggle with addiction or mental health issues. GJP's Criminal Defense Program provides pro bono legal representation paired with social services to not only defend clients accused of a crime, but also to address the underlying issues that keep people from successfully re-entering their community after an arrest – counseling, treatment and employment support.
4.3 million people have a Georgia criminal history - 40% of the adult population - meaning a large portion of Georgia's residents experience barriers to employment and housing due to a criminal record. GJP's Criminal Records Program helps clients restrict and seal their criminal records, so that our clients can pursue a stable, productive life after an encounter with the criminal justice system.
How You Can Help
- $25 will cover the cost of a weekly MARTA (public transportation) pass or gas card
- $100 will provide a water, gas or electric subsidy for a client who has recently lost a job
- $250 will provide a monthly grocery subsidy for a client's family that has lost access to school lunches due to suspended classes
- $500 will support a family needing rental assistance during loss of a recently acquired job
- $1,000 will help offset the costs of just one court case (court fees, expert support, and attorney time) to ensure due process is served during the epidemic
Help us give a second chance to those who need it most to continue a new chapter in their lives - donate to GJP today!